What Is The Issue?
Having used the platform's Linking Wizard to add accounts to the platform, you may encounter the following issue in the alert bar at the top of the screen:
Invalid username / password on account: XXXXX. Click here to update credentials.
You will also see a 'red triangle' icon next to this account to alert you to the fact that there is a problem with the credentials.
What Causes The Issue?
There are a number of reasons this error message could appear, as follows:
- A username and password for a specified publisher account has been changed but not yet updated in the platform.
- There has been a problem communicating with a publisher’s API.
- The publisher account is no longer in use, but is still linked with the platform (for example, old US Yahoo! accounts).
How To Fix The Issue
If the account credentials are incorrect, follow these steps:
- Click on Click here to update credentials to be taken to the account that needs to have updated credentials.
- Next click on the Manage Accounts button to access the platform's Linking Wizard.
- Enter the updated password. Note: If you have changed your username for the account, please file a Support ticket so that we can update your username for you.
- If you are linked to Marin's MCC, click the Reverify button to reset your account. Note: You will need to be logged into your Google Ads account while reverifying.
- Click Save.
Important note: Once you have updated the credentials, the alert bar may still remain for up to 24 hours. You can safely click 'x' to dismiss this bar, it will cease to appear following the next nightly sync. This is expected behavior.
If the publisher account is no longer in use, you will need to unlink that account, as follows:
- Go to the Accounts > Publishers > Manage Accounts.
- Select Linked Accounts, the account to unlink and hit View
- Click the Unlink button.
As an alternative to unlinking, if you'd like to preserve historical data for an out-of-use account, please contact our Customer Support department and request that this account be set to the Inactive status.
Frequently Asked Questions
I Updated The Account Credentials. Why Didn't The Alert Go Away? Why Does It Still Show Up For Other Users That Login?
There is a nightly job that automatically generates the alert for each client. For performance reasons, this is the only time the alerts are automatically generated/disabled. If the account credentials are updated during the day, the user should simply click the “x” to dismiss the alert. The alerts will go away once the nightly job runs. Until then, any user who accesses the affected the client will continue to see the alert and need to click “x”.
The Alert Says I Have Invalid Username/Password On 3 Accounts. When I Click To “Update Credentials” The Channels Tab Only Shows Me 1 Account That Is Invalid. Where Are The Other Invalid Accounts?
It could be that another user has already fixed the password on some of the accounts. Because the alert is generated on a nightly basis, it is still indicating 3 accounts are invalid, which is the old number. The user should dismiss the alert and the next night the alert will be updated to correctly reflect the number of invalid accounts.
I Updated The Account Credentials. Why Is My Publisher Data Still Missing?
Updating account credentials does not automatically kick off a job to backfill your publisher data. Please file a Support ticket if you would like this data backfilled.