The Media Plan level is directly below the Advertiser level in the Marin Social organizational hierarchy (Advertiser > Media Plan > Campaign > Ad Set > Ad). Media Plans serve as folders which house campaigns. You might want to create a distinct Media Plan for each quarter, season, product line, etc.
In this article, we'll show you how easy it is to create a Media Plan for your Facebook account. We'll break down the process into a few sections: Try it Out, Tracking, Advanced Configuration and Message Booster. Note that while we have broken the guide into sections, creating a Media Plan is is still a singular step-by-step process.
Prefer to follow along with our step-by-step outline? Here are the steps we followed in the interactive exercise above to create a Media Plan along with a few other settings for you to consider as well.
- Click on +New, then select Media Plan Facebook
- Choose the Advertiser and select the associated Facebook Account. You will then choose what you would like to promote (a page, pixel, or an application). This will auto-populate the promoted object, but you can always override this selection at any time. You can also choose a default objective and Instagram account should you wish to do so.
- Next, fill in the Media Plan Setup fields.
- Your main KPI will be chosen for you based on the Media Plan objective you selected earlier in the setup process.
- Now it's time to customize your ROI display. This is a dashboard widget that gives a color-coded evaluation of your campaign’s performance in comparison with your ROI goal. Note that you should enter a value only if your ROI is based on a CPC or CP main KPI. (The value must be numeric.)
- The next step is to customize your revenue. Revenue Amount is by far the most widely selected choice, as it pulls in data from conversion pixels and third-party tracking solutions.
- Build your dashboard by selecting which metrics you want to see in your campaign dashboard.
- If you are measuring conversions using a pixel (whether as your Main KPI or on your dashboard), make sure the pixel is activated by selecting it in the Tracking > Pixel (s) window.
- If applicable, activate third-party tracking partners.
Tip: Once you have activated a third party tracking system, you will be able to see and choose conversion events in the Build Dashboard and/or Main KPI section.
- Customize your tracking attribution window.
For more information on tracking specs, please visit the Facebook documentation link: https://developers.facebook.com/docs...racking-specs/
- Set up Media Plan-level click tags, View Tags or URL tags as necessary.
- Apply Optimization rules, if desired.
- If desired, apply a reporting template to the Media Plan. The reporting template will be reflected when the reporting interface is accessed via the
External Access URL.
You can also add a margin fee to reporting (for agencies).
- Have budget from paused ad sets allocated to active ad sets (this is only applicable when ad sets are paused by optimization rules.)
- Set up Autopause (final and/or periodic) to monitor: budget spent, clicks, impressions etc. If selected, the platform will pause any ad scheduling once the Autopause is triggered for all campaigns sitting in this media plan. Note: Ad scheduling can be found in the campaign settings.
Important: Spend is pulled into Marin Social in near-real-time, every 15-minutes, so Autopause should not be used as a hard stop for Spend.
- If you use the Message Booster, activate budget capping and customize ad set naming conventions.
- Customize your naming conventions for ads and ad sets.
- To move a campaign between media plans, follow the instructions outlined here.
- Please be sure to select the correct Facebook ad account as this field cannot be edited once the Media Plan is saved.
- In the Main KPI section, select a single conversion event (the most important one) for all direct response objectives like Catalog Sales KPI, Lead Gen, Conversion KPI, etc.
- In the Tracking section > Ad Tracking, please be sure to select the pixel. If you add it after the campaigns are created or imported in the media plan, the system will ask for a re-sync.