Search marketers may utilize letters from other character sets, especially if marketing internationally. Character integrity is preserved in MarinOne. However, there may be situations that warrant creating a report for download that includes text containing letters such as ä, ë, ï, ö, or ü. When opening the downloaded report in Excel, these characters may be replaced with question marks.
To work around this, please follow these steps:
- Export and download the file from MarinOne as usual. The document will be available as a CSV file.
- Launch Excel but do not open the document.
- Go to the Data menu tab in Excel.
- In the Get External Data section, select From Text.
- Highlight the document and click on the Import button. This will launch the Text Import Wizard.
- From the File Origin drop-down, select 65001: Unicode (UTF-8).
- Choose the correct delimiter (Tab is the default).
- Select the worksheet cell in which the wizard should begin to place the document (the default is A1 and should suffice for most use cases).
The file will now be opened with all original characters retained.
To save the document and retain character integrity, remember to perform a Save As command and select the type Unicode Text.