What Are Google Location Extensions?
Location Extensions are an easy way to display an address along with your Google creative. You can add one or more addresses to any of your campaigns, then Google will display the closest address based on the user’s location. You can either link an address from your Google Places account, or you can enter an address manually. Using the platform, you can create, edit and delete manually entered addresses, and link or unlink any Google Places account.
Please note: You can only manually add addresses in the USA through the platform. International addresses should be linked from Google Places.
How To Add Location Extensions
You can add new Location Extensions to any of your Google campaigns in just a few clicks. To get started, go to the Campaigns tab and click on the campaign you’d like to add an extension to. Next, click on the Ad Extensions tab, then just use either of the following methods:
Adding A Location Extension From A Google Places Account
From the Viewing drop-down menu, select Location Extensions. In the Google Places Account section that appears, simply use the drop-down menu to select the appropriate Google Places account, then click Save. If you don’t have a Google Places account, you can create one from the Google Ads interface.
Once you’ve linked a Google Places account, we’d recommend that you check that it’s assigned to the correct campaign within the Google Ads interface.
Adding A Location Extension Manually
To enter an address manually, follow these steps:
- From the Viewing drop-down menu, select Location Extensions.
- In the Manually Entered Addresses section, click the Create button. Then just type in your address and click Save.
- Any address that you enter here will be linked to the campaign you’re currently editing. Then, if you go into a different campaign in the same PCA (Publisher Client Account), you can use the Link button to import any address that you've added elsewhere in the system. This will save you from entering the same address in multiple campaigns.
How To Remove/Unlink Location Extensions
- To unlink your Google Places account, simply go to the Location Extensions screen, select the Google Places Account drop-down menu, and select None.
- To unlink manually entered addresses, simply check the box on the left of the grid for each address, then click the Unlink button.
Remember, unlinking addresses works on a per-campaign basis, so you’ll need to unlink Location Extensions for each campaign individually.