You upload keywords/creatives in the platform, but the upload fails with Sync errors. In the Activity Log, you see Error File containing a message like this:
GOOGLE, nonstandard_punctuation, operations
What Cause The Issue?
When you have these characters in your keywords and/or ad text, Excel cannot handle them, so the upload fails.
- Non-standard punctuation such as double-byte characters (�) or other foreign characters such as ä, è, ë.
- Violations of Google's Punctuation and symbols policy such as:
- Exclamation mark in the ad's headline
- More than one exclamation mark in the ad text
- Repeated punctuation or symbols
- Symbols, numbers, and letters that don't adhere to their true meaning
- Bullet points
How To Fix The Issue
You can fix the non-standard punctuation issue by following these steps:
- Download the file with the error.
- Copy the column you need to edit, and paste it into a Word document.
- Click the function button "Show all nonprinting characters" in Word.
- Find the non-standard punctuation and replace it with a space.
- Copy the edited text and paste it in the file you downloaded in step 1.
- Upload it to the platform.
You can fix the special characters for other languages issue by following these steps:
- Save your bulk upload file as a Unicode Text file.
- Change the bulk file's encoding to UTF-8.
- This will ensure the special characters are handled correctly and the upload should be successful.
- If the above does not work and you continue to encounter the same issue, you should contact your Google representative.
- You can learn more about Google's editorial policies regarding Google Ads here.
- See the article How to Avoid Excel Character Encoding for more details on how to avoid and fix excel character encoding.